In the UK one baby in every seven hundred to one thousand born has Down syndrome; there are an estimated 60,000 people who have Down syndrome and, on average, 1-2 babies are born with this diagnosis each day.
Symbol has been able to demonstrate a model of speech and language therapy which acknowledges that people with Down syndrome have a unique profile which lends itself to a particular way of learning.
Symbol has, in collaboration with other stakeholders, developed and researched a range of specialist, evidence based services, which we now provide on a regular basis:
- Therapeutic breaks for families: From families with new babies to families with an ageing member with Down Syndrome; including intensive eating and drinking breaks and intervention for children with a dual diagnosis of Down syndrome and autistic spectrum disorder.
- Riding and performance arts camps
- Minibreaks for young adults
- Work assessments
- Eating and drinking services
- Specialist Training for Speech and Language Therapists, Learning Support/Teaching Assistants, parents/carers, teachers
- Respite services
- Direct speech and language therapy services including
- Individual consultations
- Weekly Speech and Language Therapy groups within a locality
- Support for children in mainstream and special schools
- Support for adults with Down syndrome in community homes and day services.