Symbol is able offer individual assessments and consultations for children with a wide range of speech, language and communication needs, when you book we will identify the most appropriate specialist speech and language therapists from our team.
Assessments and consultations can take place in our own Kent or Bristol premises or at your own accommodation.
An initial consultation and report/programme is charged at £300; follow up consultations and reports/programmes are charged at £225 and further follow up, face to face, by letter, email or phone at an hourly rate. Any travel is charged additionally.
We are also able to attend Tribunals.
A Speech Language Therapist and/or Speech Language Therapy Assistant will work collaboratively with school staff and other professionals on a universal, targeted and specialist basis. We visit according to need, to provide a range of services including:
- discussion and advice
- assessment [which may include class observation, discussion with class teacher, TA, parents , specialist teacher, educational psychologist and any other relevant persons or agencies]
- individual language and communication programmes
- joint work and demonstration of techniques
- contribution to IEPs and provision planning
- individual intervention
- group work
- Training of staff in implementing standard, group programmes with materials supplied, addressing particular areas of need within their school [eg. Listening & Attention, Word Finding, Story Telling , Social Skills, Explaining & Predicting, Narrative etc]
- review of progress and programme update
- assessment for statementing advice
- INSET and/or informal Training
Special School and FE colleges
Symbol UK has extensive experience and expertise in supporting the speech, language and communication needs of pupils in special schools and FE colleges.
Symbol UK is able to tailor a service to meet the needs of the school’s staff team and pupils. We will work with them to decide on the best ways to meet their requirements and ascertain the most appropriate service model.
We may offer:
- Provision of regular clinical input using the most appropriate skill- mixed team
- Provision of specialist advisory support to support your core team of therapists and more complex pupils – in for example Eating and Drinking Needs (dysphagia) and Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) requirements
- Support to Assistants seconded from the staff team to implement speech and language therapy programmes and targets, using a competency based approach
- Training programmes to support the staff including Makaton and Elklan (Accredited), Specialist Down syndrome training or bespoke training to meet the individual needs
- Support in developing a Communication Policy for the school